Owen Sound Salmon SPECTACULAR™ Rules and Regulations 2016
Approved February 16, 2016
The most important rule changes for 2016, Rewording of Rule 24.
Owen Sound Salmon SPECTACULAR™ Rules and Regulations 2016 Approved February 16, 2016
1. The SOUND SALMON SPECTACULAR™ runs from 12:01 am., Friday, August 26, 2016 to 12:00 Noon, Sunday, September 4, 2016.
2. All participants agree to abide by the Regulations of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, The Fisheries Act, The Department of Transport “Small Boat Safety Regulations,” and the Rules and Regulations of the OWEN SOUND SALMON SPECTACULAR™.
3. A contestant may only enter the number of fish permitted by the daily creel limit in any one day (no matter when caught).
4. Each contestant upon registering to compete in the OWEN SOUND SALMON SPECTACULAR™ agrees to hold the sponsors, organizers, their agents and employees harmless from any liability of any nature and kind for any injuries and/or damages suffered during or after the period of the contest, by entrants.
5. Derby Ticket purchases can be made at any of our retail outlets, or on-line at www.sydenhamsportsmen.com/ssastore/
Single registration tickets are $25.00 and Family registration tickets are $60.00.
Methods of payment online are: VISA, MasterCard, Interact, PayPal, and American Express.
6. Tickets purchased during the derby are not valid for participating in the derby on the day of sale. (A Derby ticket becomes valid the day after it is purchased!)
7. Family tickets are available for all members of the immediate family, including children 17 years of age and under. (Children’s age is determined as of the date of ticket purchase).
8. The participant agrees that the decision of the Officials is to be final on all matters.
9. Participants must angle only in the waters of Georgian Bay stretching from the downstream side of 10th Street bridge on the Sydenham River and the walking bridge on the Pottawatomi River at Kelso Beach, and out to Vail’s Point on the east and Hay Island on the west. The derby waters include all of the Owen Sound Harbour, Owen Sound Bay and Colpoy’s Bay.
10. Fish caught only after legal derby registration, and caught within the boundaries per rule #9,and caught during the OWEN SOUND SALMON SPECTACULAR™ (see Rule 1.) may be entered.
11. Only fish that are whole (not gutted) may be entered. Fish with a snag or foul hook mark, gaff or gill net mark, even if caught legitimately, will not be accepted. Previously frozen fish may not be entered.
12. Entrants fishing from boats must ensure that all other occupants of their boat, regardless of age, are entered in this event, and be eligible to enter fish (refer to Rule 6.). Entrants must fish with only one rod per person at any time.
13. Participants agree to allow official representatives of the derby to inspect their boats to ascertain that all occupants are entered, and that all persons in the boat are holding a valid ticket.
14. Participants agree that the organizers may, at their discretion, hold any fish for biological examination and testing.
Therefore, any related prizes will not be released until such testing is completed.
Fish Entry (Weighing In)
15. Fish will only be weighed at the Official Weigh-In Station at the Georgian Shores Marina. The weigh-in station will be open from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. daily, except the last day of the Derby, when it will close promptly at 12:00 Noon.
Fish will not be weighed outside of the times indicated, except those entrants who are waiting in line by closing time will be allowed to have their fish weighed after closing time.
16. Salmon and Trout (Rainbow, Brown, and Lake Trout) must weigh a minimum of three (3) pounds (1.36 Kg), to be eligible for entry in the OWEN SOUND SALMON SPECTACULAR™. A printed receipt will be issued for each fish entered.
17. All participants entering a fish must sign the official entry book at the end of the weigh-in station. By signing the entry book you are stating that you agree with all the registration information regarding yourself and the fish you are entering (species, weight) that is shown in the official weigh-in station records, and the receipt.
18. Each entered fish will have its gill plate punched, to prevent re-entry.
19. Owen Sound provides the angler with clean water and edible game fish. Any angler found guilty of wasting his catch will be disqualified from the OWEN SOUND SALMON SPECTACULAR™. Any angler disqualified for this reason will have all prizes forfeited.
20. One Random Daily Prize will be drawn for each of the categories (i) male, (ii) female (iii) child (age 17 and under).
The weigh-in station computer will draw by random selection for each fish entry.
21. The Derby has various random draws throughout the event for prizes.
22. Two Grand Prizes will be awarded; One to the entrant entering the heaviest Salmon, and the other entering the heaviest Trout.
23. All Prizes must be accepted as awarded. The Grand Prizes must remain painted as presented for at least one year from presentation.
24. Both Grand Prize Winners will receive a replica mount by Advanced Taxidermy. The winners, in accepting these prizes, agree to allow the Sydenham Sportsmen’s Association unlimited use of said mounted fish for promotional purposes until the conclusion of the subsequent Derby Awards Ceremony.
25. Prizes will be awarded daily for the 10 heaviest Salmon and 5 prizes will be awarded daily for the heaviest Trout.
26. In the event of a tie, prizes in question will be awarded on the basis of the earliest fish entered.
27. All participants agree, upon winning a major prize, that they will submit to validity tests, if required, and will sign an affidavit confirming the fact that their fish was caught within the rules of the contest.
28. Prizes not picked up by October 31, 2016 will become the property of the Sydenham Sportsmen’s Association.
29. Any participant guilty of an infraction of the rules will be disqualified from the contest, and any prizes will be forfeited.